Saturday, April 12, 2014

Ch-Ch-Changes Maybe ..... or Mysteries of the Deep


Sorry I've been away from these pages for awhile. Sometimes the days are like a blur & I don't know how they pass so quickly.

Anyway, the Ch-Ch-Changes Maybe:

Three times now I've jogged (slowly, very slowly) all the way from one end of the beach to the other, about a half of a mile, actually .6 of a mile by my calculation. I made it from Pookie to Fonzie. I'm very proud of myself for this. For me - a lazy, ex-smoking, overeating, overweight, non-motivated person - it's an amazing accomplishment. It's like a small miracle, both that I could do it & that I even wanted to do it. I did it I think three days in a row while the tide was very low. The last & third time was about a week ago. I couldn't do it again last week. I'm going to blame the higher tide & the slanting sand. Yeah, that's it. The funny thing is, it's not my breathing that gives out as I would have suspected; it's my calves. I think I have bad form & I rely on them too heavily. So now I try to change my form, to use my thighs, hips, and core more. It feels awkward but good. I envision that the movement of my arms is somehow lifting my body up and making me lighter. This jogging thing has become my new project. I like it.

The Mysteries of the Deep:

It was deliciously foggy the other morning. Like this:



The fog is definitely one of my favorite things. It adds such an air(!) of portent to the morning. I love it! It makes me think and wonder about what's lurking under the water just offshore. I imagine mythological beasts and sea dragons ready to burst forth out of the waves to claim the sky in an amazing display of water and fire. Awesomesauce.

Also, just walking in the sand and foggy air is awesome, too. I took that pic of my footsteps and not two seconds later they were washed away by a wave. Something about that impermanence makes me happy and keeps me in check. I took the pics of the fence next to the pier to illustrate low tide versus high tide. One week ago, during low tide and my walks, I was able to easily high five the concrete wall out where the fence ends. The foggy high tide day of the pics, the water came way up almost to where Pookie lives, directly down from the red pylon thing on the pier. I'm not sure if both things are visible in the photos. Anyway, neither day was at exact high or low tide. I've seen it much higher & certainly lower.

That's all for now. Just trying to squeeze this post in before another day flows right by me and through me. The days go fast but I haven't missed one yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment